Pages

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Only choice on war is to win or lose it

There is an excellent article by Mark Steyn in today's Chicago Sun-Times that takes a measured look at the war in Iraq and discusses the issue of winning or losing. The title says it all, and Steyn ably explains his position.

I have posted the first paragraph below, and I hope that serves to pique the interest of readers to read the entire column.

October 29, 2006

BY MARK STEYN Sun-Times Columnist

I was on C-SPAN the other morning, and a lady called in to complain that ''you are making my blood pressure rise.'' Usual reason. The host, Paul Orgel, had asked me what I thought of President Bush and I replied that, whatever my differences with him on this or that, I thought he was one of the most farsighted politicians in Washington. That's to say, he's looking down the line to a world in which a radicalized Islam has exported its pathologies to every corner on Earth, Iran and like-minded states have applied nuclear blackmail to any parties within range, and a dozen or more nutcake basket-case jurisdictions have joined Pyongyang and Tehran as a Nukes R Us one-stop shop for all your terrorist needs. In 2020, no one's going to be worrying about which Congressional page Mark Foley is coming on to. Except Mark Foley, who'll be getting a bit long in the tooth by then. But if it really is, as Democrats say, ''all about the future of our children,'' then our children will want to know why our generation saw what was happening and didn't do anything about it. They will despise us as we despise the political class of the 1930s. And the fact that we passed a great prescription drug plan will be poor consolation when the entire planet is one almighty headache.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: