Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2007

I Lost A Friend This Week

Long-time readers may recognize the nom de plume “The Windjammer.” The Windjammer preferred to remain anonymous to readers of Observations, and I shall respect his wishes for privacy.

I have known The Windjammer for 10 or so years, and liked him for his wit, his intelligence his good sense and his kind ways. We spent a good bit of our time discussing politics and we agreed most of the time, and we had a similar sense of humor, so we exchanged jokes, too.

Several days ago I emailed him to ask if everything was okay, since I hadn’t heard from him in a while. I got an email answer from his grandson to tell me that The Windjammer had died on Monday. He was with his family at the time.

He had told me of some ailments and problems, but I didn’t think much about it, since he was nearly 80 years old, and most of us have some physical problem or another, too. He didn’t tell me that he had cancer.

The world is a poorer place because he is gone, and I will miss him greatly.

Rest in peace, Windjammer.

No comments: