Pages

Friday, October 03, 2008

Biden Was Against Clean Coal Before He Was For It

Joe Biden may not have made another gaffe in last night’s debate, but he certainly did show confusion about certain facts. Observers counted no less than 10 outright misstatements of fact from the Delaware Senator, and a few other questionable statements from him.

One of his outright misstatements came from this question from moderator Gwen Ifill:

IFILL: Let me clear something up, Sen. McCain has said he supports caps on carbon emissions. Sen. Obama has said he supports clean coal technology, which I don't believe you've always supported.

BIDEN: I have always supported it. That's a fact.

Not so, as we shall see shortly. But then Mr. Biden compounded his confusion of the facts with confusion about the question he was asked:

IFILL: OK. And on the clean coal issue?

BIDEN: Absolutely. Absolutely we do. We call for setting hard targets, number one...

IFILL: Clean coal.

BIDEN: Oh, I'm sorry.

IFILL: On clean coal.

BIDEN: Oh, on clean coal. My record, just take a look at the record. My record for 25 years has supported clean coal technology. A comment made in a rope line was taken out of context. I was talking about exporting that technology to China so when they burn their dirty coal, it won't be as dirty, it will be clean.

One year ago, Senator Biden was interviewed by the environmental organization Grist, and the outdoor activity organization Outside, and was asked, “What role does ‘clean coal’ play in your vision for energy independence and climate security?” Mr. Biden responded, “I don’t think there’s much of a role for clean coal in energy independence, but I do think there’s a significant role for clean coal in the bigger picture of climate change,” he said. “Clean-coal technology is not the route to go in the United States, because we have other, cleaner alternatives.”

The context seems clear enough, doesn't it?

Sarah Palin hit the nail right on the head when she pointed out that “you're one who says, as so many politicians do, I was for it before I was against it, or vice- versa.”

Click Here to Comment

No comments: