Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Blogger's Surprise


I had an interesting thing happen yesterday. At least it was interesting to me. I was surfing some new blogs and came across one--don't remember which one--that was expressing a measure of surprise and pride at its jump in the Technorati blog ratings level. The blog author was very pleased that her or his blog had made it into the top 100,000 blogs that Technorati rates. The piece pointed out that given the millions of blogs in existence that being in the top 100,000 is pretty noteworthy.

That reminded me that a blog I regularly visit, that of Kashmiri Nomad, had also referenced the Technorati rating. I have used Technorati tags off and on during my blogging "career," and I have seen the rating when I visit the Technorati site to ascertain whether it has responed to my update ping, but I hadn't ever given it much thought because my rating wasn't what I thought of as especially good. And since I lack the talent and am unable to devote the kind of time to Observations that is required to make it one of the widest read blogs, I really didn't pay much attention.

Researching the Technorati site revealed the fact that the service tracks more that 71 million blogs!!! Wow! I figured it only tracked a few million, those that were registered or that used the tag system. So, purely out of curiosity I took a look at my Technorati rating. Yesterday, it was 17,134! What a surprise!

Now, don't get me wrong: I realize that having the 17,134th highest rated blog isn't at all special, but I certainly was amazed that my humble and relatively sparsely read effort was even that high. I don't know how often Technorati re-rates blogs, but I have noticed that the rating fluctuates during the day. At one point, Observations was at 17,092, and today it's at 17,139.

So, check out Technorati to see where you are. You might be surprised, too.


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: