Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

On Being a Greedy Business Owner

I know at least one of my regular visitors has owned his own business, as I did. There is the perception that people who own businesses are rich and greedy folks who take advantage of their employees so they can grow rich. It is an interesting perception, and certainly provides a wonderful platform for critics of capitalism to rant and whine.

Here is a story about a guy who ran a small ranch in Kansas:

It seems the Kansas Wage & Hour Dept. believed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an field agent out to interview him.

"I want to know who your employees are and how much you pay them," the agent demanded.

"Well," replied the rancher, "There's my ranch hand, Albert, who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board.

The cook, Josephine, has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 per week plus free room and board.

Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day of the week and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night."

"That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit," said the and hostile state agent.

"That would be me," replied the rancher.

Life is always sweet when you own your own business, eh, Buff?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: